Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
US PRESIDENT DONALD Trump has given Hamas a deadline to accept his proposed Gaza peace plan by Sunday evening, warning that “all hell” could break out if they refuse.
Trump outlined his plan on his social media platform Truth Social, calling it a “last chance” agreement, and said that Hamas have until 6pm Washington time (11pm Irish time) to agree to it.
“If this LAST CHANCE agreement is not reached, all HELL, like no one has ever seen before, will break out against Hamas,” Trump wrote in a post on his Truth Social platform.
In the post, Trump said “innocent Palestinians” should evacuate an unspecified area in anticipation of a potential assault on Hamas’s remaining forces.
Most of Hamas’ fighters “are surrounded and MILITARILY TRAPPED, just waiting for me to give the word, ‘GO,’ for their lives to be quickly extinguished. As for the rest, we know where and who you are, and you will be hunted down, and killed,” Trump said.
“I am asking that all innocent Palestinians immediately leave this area of potentially great future death for safer parts of Gaza. Everyone will be well cared for by those that are waiting to help. Fortunately for Hamas, however, they will be given one last chance!”
Trump’s peace proposal after nearly two years of devastating Israeli onslaughts against Gaza has been backed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, but so far has not been accepted by Hamas.
The deal calls for a ceasefire, the release of hostages within 72 hours, Hamas’s disarmament and a gradual Israeli withdrawal from Gaza.
That would be followed by a post-war transitional authority headed by Trump himself.
It was not clear what Trump’s evacuation order to Palestinian civilians meant.
Hamas has said it is reviewing the plan and consulting with mediators, with officials indicating they may seek amendments on key points such as disarmament and guarantees against assassinations.
Sources familiar with the discussions say the group is divided, with some leaders supporting unconditional approval under international guarantees, while others favour conditional approval reflecting Hamas’s demands.
In Gaza city, Israel’s military continues air and ground assaults, displacing hundreds of thousands of residents.
Humanitarian agencies warn that there is no safe place in Gaza, and that southern areas designated as evacuation zones are “places of death.”
The genocide, labelled as such by a UN commission, numerous aid organisations and world governments (including Ireland) was triggered by the Hamas raid into southern Israel that killed 1,195 people, mostly civilians.
About 250 were taken hostage, of whom 48 remain in Gaza, though fewer than half are still alive.
Since 7 October 2023, at least 66,225 Palestinians have been killed by Israel in Gaza, according to the region’s health ministry, with more than half of the dead reported to be women and children.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say