This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 14 °C Monday 23 September, 2019
Advertisement

New footage shows hotel workers pursuing Tunisia beach attacker

A nationwide search for other suspects has been launched.

Updated 8.58am

Source: Sky News/YouTube

Some readers may find the above footage disturbing.

NEW VIDEO HAS emerged of hotel workers pursuing  the student who massacred holidaymakers on a Tunisian beach and at a resort hotel.

The footage, obtained by Sky News, shows the men following Seifeddine Rezgui as he walks through the hotel and on to the beach.

The cameraman at one stage appears to contemplate attacking Rezgui with a bottle, before the gunman turns on him.

The group follows him through the grounds of the hotel, to the street where he was shot by police.

It has been confirmed that three Irish tourists died in the attack.

Most people from Ireland who have already booked holidays to the country are continuing to travel out, the managing director of Sunway Holidays said.

Tanya Airey told RTÉ’s Morning Ireland that two-thirds due to fly out on Friday did so. Others were given the opportunity to travel home early, but only a handful chose to do so.

She noted that the Department of Foreign Affairs is advising tourists to “exercise extreme caution”, but hasn’t warned people not to travel to the country.

Airey added that refunds will not be offered as this warning has not been issued.

An Interior Ministry official said it is believed the man acted alone during the attack  - but had accomplices who supported him beforehand.

Police are searching nationwide for more suspects after the slaughter of at least 38 people in Sousse on Friday, in Tunisia’s deadliest ever such attack.

The attacker’s father and three roommates were detained and being questioned in the capital, Tunis, Interior Ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Aroui told The Associated Press.

A security official close to the investigation said the student frequented an “unofficial” mosque in the Tunisian holy city of Kairouan for the past two years.

The official said a swimmer had found the attacker’s cellphone in the Mediterranean. The phone showed the attacker spoke with his father just before his assault, the official said on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorised to speak publicly.

Tunisia Attack People, some displaying a Tunisian flag, stand in silence next to flowers during a gathering at the scene of the attack Source: Abdeljalil Bounhar/AP/Press Association Images

The attacker has been identified as a 24-year-old graduate of Tunisia’s Kairouan University where he had been living with the other students. The attack was claimed by the radical Islamic State group.

“We are sure that others helped, but did not participate,” Aroui said. “They participated indirectly.”

Investigators believe the suspected accomplices provided the Kalashnikov assault rifle to Rezgui and helped him get to the scene, Aroui said.

The tourism ministry confirmed plans to deploy 1,000 armed officers from 1 July to reinforce the tourism police, who will now also carry guns for the first time.

Armed officers will be deployed “inside and outside hotels”, on beaches and at tourist and archaeological sites, the ministry said.

Authorities have also announced plans to close 80 mosques accused of inciting extremism.

Additional by reporting by The Associated Press and © – AFP, 2015

Read: Minister confirms two more Irish citizens died in Tunisia attack >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Nicky Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (40)