Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
A WOMAN SO desperate to keep her boyfriend from flying off to a new job phoned in a bomb threat hoax and later said: “I’m sorry, but I did it for love.”
Grace Guajardo has been charged by Chilean authorities with making a false bomb threat and could face up to 61 days in jail if convicted, reports Associated Press.
Her boyfriend Rodrigo Gomez had already boarded Iberia Flight 6830 from Santiago to Madrid on Sunday, destined for a month-long job as a cruise ship waiter when Guajardo said she called the airport demanding that authorities tell Gomez his father was gravely ill.
After that didn’t work authorities say she called back and alleged that there was a bomb on the plane. This forced the 312 people aboard to be evacuated as police sniffer dogs searched the luggage.
Guajardo succeeded in getting her boyfriend to stay in Chile whilst the other 311 people on board caught another flight on Monday.
Prosecutors had decided not to charge Guajardo under more severe anti-terrorism laws after hearing the couple’s story. Reuters reports that Guajardo did not have to spend the night in jail after her boyfriend bailed her out.
Gomez said outside the court: “I can’t be angry, I have to support her. What she needs is love, nothing more.”
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say