TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 16 °C Friday 31 October, 2014

Deenihan to make decision on Moore St site ‘as soon as possible’

The arts minister says the National Museum of Ireland has sent a submission relating to the use of the 1916 Rising HQ.

16 Moore Street, the last headquarters of the provisional government during the 1916 Rising.
16 Moore Street, the last headquarters of the provisional government during the 1916 Rising.
Image: Leon Farrell/Photocall Ireland

ARTS MINISTER Jimmy Deenihan has said a decision on whether to allow a new development to continue on O’Connell St – close to the site of the national monument on nearby Moore Street – will be made “as soon as possible”.

Deenihan told the Dáil that a decision on whether to approve plans for the site of the old Carlton Cinema site at the north end of O’Connell St, which backs onto the Moore Street area, was due in the coming period.

Ministerial approval is required for any proposed development which would result in excavation on ground in, around or in proximity to a national monument.

Deenihan disclosed today that he had received a submission on the use of the site from the National Museum of Ireland, which had raised several issues with the proposed development, and that this would be raised in tripartite talks between his Department, the Museum and the developers.

The arts minister added that

The site at 14-17 Moore Street is designated a national monument due to the former status of 16 Moore Street as the headquarters of the provisional government during the 1916 Rising.

Michael Collins, James Connolly, Patrick Pearse, Thomas Clarke, Joseph Plunkett and Sean MacDermott all offered their surrender at the climax of the 1916 Easter Rising from the Moore Street premises, having already retreated from the GPO.

An Bord Pleanála has previously upheld a decision by Dublin City Council to approve a redevelopment of the Carlton Cinema site.

Sinn Féin’s Sandra McLellan said the requirement of ministerial approval offered a “unique opportunity to protect and preserve the site”.

The proposed development from developer Joe O’Reilly would see the Carlton site converted to a shopping and restaurant quarter, with the construction of two new streets between O’Connell Street and Moore and Henry Streets.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (20 Comments)

Add New Comment