TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 11 °C Saturday 19 August, 2017
Advertisement

Free soup puts 350 in hospital with food poisoning

The entire 1,000-person village was bundled over to the nearest hospital, where 367 were admitted for treatment.

Image: Shutterstock/James Steidl

A FREE LUNCH for villagers in southern Myanmar turned sour after it landed more than a third of the rural community in hospital with food poisoning.

Hundreds of villagers from Eain Ta Lone, west of Yangon, fell ill after eating fish stew served at a Buddhist ceremony to celebrate the ordination of local novices.

The entire 1,000-person village was bundled over to the nearest hospital, where 367 were admitted for treatment, said charity worker Wai Lin Aung, who helped to transport the villagers.

Many were vomiting and some described aches and pains all over their body, he added.

They felt like that after eating stewed hilsa (type of fish) and cassia soup at the donation.

The sick returned home later and were recovering, Myaung Mya township chief administrator Aung Kyaw Zaya told AFP.

“They are all back in the village now. We are monitoring the whole village to see if there are any other health problems.”

Myanmar has a poor food safety record and visitors to the country often complain of food poisoning.

Tests of street food in the largest city Yangon reportedly found around a third of it contained stomach-churning bacteria.

© – AFP 2017

Read: Mother of London terror attacker says she has shed ‘many tears’ for victims>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel

Trending Tags