GARDAÍ IN CORK continue to question a woman in her 40s in relation to the death of 8-year-old Anthony Ward in Charleville earlier this week.
The woman, who has not been named by Gardaí, is being detained at Mallow station under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984. She can be held until about 5pm today.
It is understood that yesterday’s preliminary post mortem results indicated that Anthony died from asphyxia. Gardaí are now treating his death as murder. It is believed he died in the early hours of Monday morning at his home in Harrison Place in Charleville.
His body was discovered in his bed by family members and the Gardaí later that morning after an alarm was raised by his mother Diane, who was subsequently taken to hospital for treatment. She was discharged from Cork University Hospital yesterday.
The schoolboy’s remains will repose at Hawe’s Funeral Home in the town from 2pm this afternoon and will be removed to Holy Cross Church at 5pm.
His funeral mass will be held Thursday at 2.30pm before burial in Holy Cross Cemetery. Family have asked mourners not to bring flowers but to donate money to either Charleville Tae Kwon Do Club or Cork Mental Health.
Anthony was due to begin Third Class in the local primary school on Monday morning, just minutes before his body was discovered. Newtownshandrum National School issued a statement to express their sympathies for the family. Describing him as a lovely boy, kind and friendly, the school said he would be missed by all who knew him.
The Irish Examiner has reported that his classmates, as well as parents, will be provided with counselling.
More details emerged yesterday of the Ward family’s contact with HSE services. The Health Service Executive said it was committed to undertaking a “comprehensive review of its involvement” with the family.