TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 15 °C Monday 23 October, 2017
Advertisement

'The ideal situation would be to allow them go to a halting site'

Several families were evicted from an illegal site in Louth on Friday.

Woodland Park, Dundalk
Woodland Park, Dundalk
Image: Google Maps

THE SOLICITOR REPRESENTING Traveller families who have been evicted from a halting site in Louth has said the “ideal situation” would be to allow them move into another halting site.

However, Eleanor Kelly told Morning Ireland this is unlikely as no sites are available in Dundalk.

“We’re hoping that the council will help them with getting their rent allowance put in place, helping them to get private rented accommodation.”

Several families were given 48 hours last week to leave an illegal halting site in Woodland Park and find alternative accommodation.

Kelly said 17 families, one with an eight-day-old baby, had to find accommodation in two days, stating: “It just wasn’t possible.”

She said the families have been told it will take about three years for Traveller-appropriate accommodation to be put in place in the area.

Six mobile homes remain on the site, but are also expected to be removed.

Fire hazard

Kelly claimed the families have been given mixed messages about the halting site, with many believing they could continue to live on the site while work was carried out to ensure it met fire safety standards.

She said the residents were in talks with the council about the issues last August but received “no contact whatsoever” since then. The evictions started last Friday.

A fire officer visited the site in October and deemed it to be a hazard.

Kelly said an auctioneer is due to meet the families this morning to help them find private rented accommodation.

Read: Council evict number of families from Louth halting site

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (28)