WANT TO KNOW what’s going on in Leinster House today?
Every day the Dáil and Seanad are sitting, TheJournal.ie brings you the most comprehensive guide to what our lawmakers are getting up to in the Houses of the Oireachtas.
So, here is what we can expect to be happening in the Dáil, Seanad and Committee rooms today…
2 things will keeping an eye on
- Dáil: The Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn will take questions from 2pm. With teachers unhappy about new proposals for junior cycle students, this one could be juicy.
- Dáil: Leaders’ Questions – Taoiseach Enda Kenny will get a grilling from the leaders of the Opposition. Voices may be raised – at 3.15pm
- Dáil: Sinn Féin will bring its Charities (Amendment) Bill 2014 to the chamber from 7.30pm during Private Members Business.
Everything else that is happening in the Dáil
- As usual, the Taoiseach will take questions on his own portfolio right after Leaders’ Questions at 3.36pm.
- Order of Business will be heard at 4.36pm before TDs move onto 85 minutes (or less, maybe) of post-European Council statements (from 5.06pm).
- We’ll then move onto an hour of Topical Issues from 6.30pm.
Everything else that is happening in the Seanad
- The senators’ day begins at 2.30pm with Order of Business.
- Directly after, there will be a motion regarding amendments to Seanad Éireann Standing Orders relating to voting.
- At 3.45pm, the Road Traffic (No.2) Bill – which is at its Second Stage – will be debated.
- And, finally, Senators can raise issues of concern to them before adjournment at 7pm.
Everything else that is happening in the Committees
- Jobs Minister Richard Bruton will appear before the Committee on Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation from 1.30pm in Room 2 to discuss revised estimates for the public service.
- Also discussing the revised estimates will be Pat Rabbitte. The Labour TD will face the Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Committee from 2pm in Room 4.
- At 2pm, Minister Simon Coveney will talk to the Agriculture, Food and Marine Committee about the public services’ revised estimates in Room 3.
- In Room 4 at 2pm, Minister Jimmy Deenihan will appear at the Committee on Arts, Sport and Heritage for similar talks.
- A little later, at 3.45pm in Room 4, embattled Minister Phil Hogan will join the Committee on Environment, Community and Local Government to look at the revised estimates for this year.
- Are you sensing a theme here? Minister Frances Fitzgerald comes before the Children and Youth Affairs Committee at 5.15pm in Room 2. Yes, you guessed it, to discuss the revised estimates for 2014.
Here’s how to watch what’s going on in Leinster House today
- Dáil Éireann
- Seanad Éireann
- Committee Room 1
- Committee Room 2
- Committee Room 3
- Committee Room 4
- To access streams on iOS, click here
Like politics? Then why not ‘Like’ TheJournal.ie’s Politics page?
Explainer: How does a Bill become a law?