Dominique Strauss-Kahn leaves New York State Supreme court with his wife Anne Sinclair in July. At least some of the charges against him are expected to be dropped tomorrow. David Karp/AP

Prosecutors file papers asking that Strauss-Kahn charges be dropped

Filings from the Manhattan district attorney says he no longer believes a viable case can be brought against the former IMF head.

NEW YORK PROSECUTORS have filed papers recommending that all charges in the sex assault case against Dominique Strauss-Kahn be dropped.

A published edition of the prosecutors’ motion outlined that the case would rely solely on the evidence of Nafissatou Diallo, the chambermaid at the centre of the allegations against the former IMF managing director.

While “the physical, specific, and other evidence establishes that the defendant engaged in a hurried sexual encounter with the complainant,” the filing said, “it does not independently establish her claim of a forcible, nonconsensual encounter.”

It added that while Diallo was considered reliable at the time the complaint had been filed, later investigations “severely undermined her reliability as a witness in this case.”

Diallo and her lawyer met briefly with prosecutors earlier today. It had been widely expected that prosecutors would announce plans to reduce or drop the charges.

Earlier: US prosecutors expected to drop Strauss-Kahn case tomorrow – report >

Previously: Strauss-Kahn charges could be dropped ‘by Tuesday’

Additional reporting by AP

Close
17 Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds