Ivan Sekretarev/AP/Press Association Images

Russian flotilla headed for Syria enters Mediterranean

Russia has denied that the deployment of the warships is linked to the escalating conflict in Syria.

A Russian naval flotilla of warships destined for the Syrian port of Tartus has entered the Mediterranean, Russia’s defence ministry said Tuesday.

“The Russian ships today passed the Strait of Gibraltar and entered the Mediterranean at 1200 GMT,” said a defence ministry spokesman, quoted by Itar-Tass agency.

Led by the Admiral Chabanenko anti-submarine destroyer, the three landing craft left their home port of Severomorsk in the Arctic Circle earlier this month. They are due to be joined in the Mediterranean by the Russian patrol ship Yaroslav Mudry as well as an assistance vessel.

The ships will perform “planned military manoeuvres”, said the ministry. Earlier in the month a military source said the ships would be topping up on supplies of fuel, water and foodstuffs.

Russia has denied that the deployment is linked to the escalating conflict in Syria.

- © AFP, 2012

View 91 comments
Close
91 Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds