This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 13 °C Friday 20 July, 2018
Advertisement

Tesco to fork out €247 million over accounting scandal

Tesco has reached a deal that will see the company avoid prosecution.

Image: Matt Crossick/Empics Entertainment

SUPERMARKET TESCO HAS agreed to a fine and compensation costs totalling £214 million (€247 million) after an accounting scandal at Britain’s biggest retailer, the Serious Fraud Office said today.

Under a deal struck with the SFO over an affair stretching back three years, Tesco will not face prosecution.

However, charges have previously been brought against three former Tesco executives, who face trial over alleged fraud and false accounting.

“Tesco… has in principle reached a deferred prosecution agreement with the UK Serious Fraud Office regarding historic accounting practice,” the supermarket giant said in a statement.

This “is a voluntary agreement under which Tesco Stores Limited will not be prosecuted provided the business fulfils certain requirements, including paying a financial penalty of £129 million.”

In addition, Tesco will compensate shareholders by around £85 million in total.

Tesco had been accused of overstating profits by £326 million between February and September 2014.

Following the incident, the company appointed outsider and former Unilever executive Dave Lewis to replace long-standing chief executive Philip Clarke and oversee a drastic restructuring of the group, which in recent years has also faced fierce competition in the UK from German-owned discount retailers Aldi and Lidl.

“Over the last two and a half years, we have fully co-operated with this investigation into historic accounting practices, while at the same time fundamentally transforming our business,” Lewis said in the statement.

“We sincerely regret the issues which occurred in 2014 and we are committed to doing everything we can to continue to restore trust in our business and brand.”

Tesco is the world’s third-biggest supermarket group after France’s Carrefour and global leader and US giant Wal-Mart.

© – AFP, 2017

Read: Flahavans fends off Dairy Milk and Tayto to claim top spot in vote for Ireland’s favourite food brand

Read: ‘It’s very frustrating’ – Union not happy with Tesco anti-strike ad campaign

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (10)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

Leave a commentcancel