TheJournal.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more »
Dublin: 9 °C Saturday 23 August, 2014

‘The camp will continue’ – Occupy Dame St vows to stay for Patrick’s Day parade

Gardaí had asked the camp to dismantle for the parade due to health and safety concerns.

Image: Sam Boal/Photocall Ireland

OCCUPY DAME STREET has said that the camp will remain in place for the Patrick’s Day parade on 17 March, despite a request from the gardaí that it be dismantled for the event.

The camp has instead offered to encircle the camp with metal fencing for the duration of the parade after gardaí raised health and safety concerns over construction materials held on the site.

The gardaí had contacted the camp last week as part of an ongoing discussion about the Patrick’s Day festival, which runs in Dublin’s city centre between 16 and 19 March.

In a statement, the camp said it affirmed its right to exercise peaceful resistance against the current mismanagement of the country and rejected attempts to move it from the Central Bank Plaza.

It reiterated its commitment to ensuring the health and safety of both the public and camp members to the best of its ability.

The camp is taking part in consultations with the Dublin City Fire Marshall to ensure that it complies with any requests the office may have and said that it looks forward to a peaceful and safe Patrick’s Day festival.

Poll: Should the Occupy Dame St camp move for St Patrick’s Day? >

Occupy London protesters evicted from camp at St Paul’s Cathedral >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

Comments (144 Comments)

Add New Comment