#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 15°C Monday 18 October 2021

Mother-of-one begins year-long sentence for violent disorder in connection with killing of Dale Creighton

Dale Creighton died following a 14 minute attack in Tallaght on New Year’s Day 2014.

Dale Creighton Murder Cases Aisling Burke, leaving the Dublin District Court in January 2014 Source: Laura Hutton/Rollingnews.ie

A MOTHER-OF-ONE, originally charged with murdering Dale Creighton, has begun a one-year jail term for violent disorder during the fatal attack on a Tallaght footbridge.

The 14-minute attack on Dale Creighton had begun after Aisling Burke’s mobile phone was stolen as she walked home from a night club. She had been sentenced to five years with four suspended last week, but had been given a week to arrange care for her child. She was back before the Central Criminal Court today.

Mr Creighton (20) was assaulted by a group at the bridge over the Tallaght bypass between Saint Dominic’s Road and Greenhills Road on New Year’s Day 2014.

He died in hospital the following day. The cause of his death was blunt force injury to his head and face.

Six men and one woman were originally charged with murder and went on trial at the Central Criminal Court in October, after pleading not guilty. However, those charges were dropped on the 15th day of the trial, after they pleaded guilty to lesser charges and had their new pleas accepted.

The seven, who are all from Tallaght, had rung in the new year at a local night club. They were sentenced to various terms last week.

The court was satisfied that 23-year-old Aisling Burke, with an address in Co Westmeath, did not inflict any physical violence on Mr Creighton.

She was sentenced to five years in prison. The court suspended the final four years for two years on condition she be of good behaviour, keep the peace and be subject to probation service supervision for two years from her release.

She did not enter the bond in court, but will do so before the governor or a deputy of the governor in prison.

As a single mother, she had been given a week to organise care for her child. Dressed in a blue jacket, black trousers and blue shoes, she nodded at her parents as she was led away. Members of the victim’s family had also attended.

Five of her co-accused had begun their prison terms last week. A sixth had walked free, after his sentence for possession of a knife at the time was fully suspended.

Read: Dale Creighton killers attacked on their second day in Mountjoy

Read: Kickboxing trainee jailed for inflicting brain injury on older man

About the author:

Natasha Reid

Read next: