This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 7 °C Wednesday 13 November, 2019
Advertisement

UK health authority to prosecute Alton Towers owners over rollercoaster crash

The 2 June crash at the popular theme park saw five people seriously injured.

Image: WMAS via Twitter

THE UK HEALTH and Safety Executive (HSE) has said it will be prosecuting the owners of Alton Towers theme park over a rollercoaster crash which left five people with serious injuries.

In a statement, the HSE said it had informed Merlin Attractions Operations Ltd that it will be prosecuted “for breaching health and safety law”.

“This was a serious incident with life-changing consequences for five people.”

We have conducted a very thorough investigation and consider that there is sufficient evidence, and that it is in the public interest to bring a prosecution.

The 2 June crash at the popular theme park saw five people seriously injured. Two people needed leg amputations.

Merlin Entertaintainment has previously said there was no mechanical problem with the ride, but that the control system was overridden by staff after they misunderstood a warning message.

Read: Alton Towers says horror crash was caused by ‘human error’>
Read: “I started to feel pain and I couldn’t feel my toes.” – Teenager describes Alton Towers crash>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)