#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Monday 27 September 2021
Advertisement

Explosive device made safe in Dublin city centre

The device was found outside a private residence on Preston St earlier today.

Amiens St
Amiens St
Image: Google Street View

A SECURITY ALERT in the Amiens St area, which led to the closure of the road and of two platforms at Connolly Station, has ended.

The Defence Forces said that an Army Bomb Disposal Team rendered safe a viable Improvised Explosive Device (IED) on Preston Street in Dublin City Centre this afternoon.

They deployed the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Team following a request from the gardaí after a suspect device was found outside a private residence on Preston Street.

The team arrived at 3.20pm and to ensure public safety, a cordon and traffic restrictions were put in place, while platforms 6 and 7 at Connolly Station were also shut as a precaution.

The device was rendered safe without the need for a controlled explosion, and was then moved to a secure military location for further technical examination and testing. The scene was declared safe at 4pm.

The device has now been confirmed as a viable IED following further testing. Its component parts will be handed over to the gardaí as part of their investigation into the incident.

This is the 34th EOD callout so far this year and brings to 21 the number of viable IEDs dealt with by Army Bomb Disposal Teams.

Irish Rail said that platforms 6 and 7 at Connolly Station have reopened since the device was made safe.

Read next:

COMMENTS (9)