#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 8°C Tuesday 27 October 2020
Advertisement

Three charged over attempted late-night sword raids

The two incidents – at a take-away and a petrol station – happened late on Monday night.

Image: Shutterstock/boscorelli

Updated at 9.30am

POLICE IN THE North have charged three people - two men and one woman -  in connection with two incidents involving swords late on Monday night.

Both happened in the wider Downpatrick area.

According to the PSNI, the first attempted raid happened at around 10.20pm at a fast food outlet on the Commons Road in Ballykinler.

A man entered the take-away with a sword and threatened staff, but he was chased away and made off empty-handed.

Then at 11.10pm, a man with a sword entered a service station on the Newcastle Road in Castlewellan, once again threatening staff

“He made his way behind the counter before making off with a number of scratch cards,” a police statement said.

Three people were later arrested, and police confirmed this morning that charges had been brought in relation to the incident.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

An 18 year old man is charged with “robbery, attempted robbery, common assault and two counts of possessing an article with a blade or point in a public place”.

He’s due to appear in court later this morning.

The two other people charged are due before court on Thursday 27 August.

“As is normal procedure all charges will be reviewed by the Public Prosecution Service,” a police statement said.

Read: One killed, three seriously injured in shooting outside Toronto nightclub

About the author:

Daragh Brophy

Read next:

COMMENTS (12)