Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
THE DÁIL HAS heard that residents in the area near the disused Baggot Street Hospital will be “horrified” and “scandeled” if no consideration was given to use the building for housing.
The Journal reported last weekend the Department of Housing was not offered the property for housing, with a housing department spokesperson stating:
This department has not been offered the Baggot St. Building for housing purposes.
The statement is at odds with the statement by Brian O’Connell, the HSE’s director of health infrastructure, who said the decision to sell a large part of the hospital was made as it wasn’t needed by the HSE and no other state agency expressed interest in taking it over.
Fine Gael’s James Geoghegan asked Taoiseach Micheál Martin about the matter today, raising concerns as to why such a building in the city centre would not be offered up for housing needs.
The historic building which dates back to 1831 has been lying vacant since 2019, when the HSE ceased its operations there.
It was announced last week that the HSE was putting the building up for sale, saying in a statement that no state agencies showed any interest in taking it on.
The Journal asked the HSE if it had approached the Department of Housing regarding taking over the building.
The HSE responded, saying that it followed protocol by putting it forward, in the first instance, for acquisition by other State entities.
The Journal later informed the HSE that the Department of Housing disputed that it was ever offered the opportunity for the building to be used for housing and asked for clarification on the matter.
Despite repeated requests for a response since last weekend, none has been forthcoming from the HSE.
Geoghegan said today that local representatives and residents were told that the building was placed on the OPW disposal register, allowing for every government department to be offered the building for use.
He said locals in Dublin Bay South would be horrified if the building was not considered for housing use, adding that it is scandalous that the building has been left vacant for years by the HSE.
Responding, the Taoiseach could not clarify the situation, but told the Dáil that it may be the case that the building is not easily amenable for housing, given the level of investment that might be required in refurbishing a listed building.
“Therefore every department has to look at it from a value of money perspective,” he said.
“It is a prime location,” acknowledged the Taoiseach, who told the Dublin Bay South TD that the building needs to be re-used and he is open to that being realised through the private sector.
Geoghegan asked the Taoiseach to seek clarity from the housing minister for which Martin responded by saying that the health minister could also give clarity.
“They are all involved,” quipped the Taoiseach.
The Dublin Bay South TD said residents in the area want to see the building put into “active use”.
Disgraceful news that Baggot Street Hospital is being put on the open market without being offered to the LDA for much needed affordable housing
— Ivana Bacik (@ivanabacik) October 13, 2025
Cllr @LaceyDermot & I have long sought for this derelict state asset to be put to use to deliver homes for people in a housing crisis. pic.twitter.com/23eoBmL08Q
Labour leader Ivana Bacik has also weighed in on the matter, calling it “disgraceful” that the building is being put on the open market.
She said it should be taken over by the Land Development Agency (LDA) and the property used for accommodation in a housing crisis.
The Journal has sought a statement from the LDA on the matter.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say