Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
CHILDREN’S MINISTER FRANCES Fitzgerald has remained tight-lipped on plans for Child Benefit in Budget 2014.
Speaking on RTÉ’s The Week in Politics, she said there had been “no discussions” in her party about the payments ahead of this October’s budget.
“Fine Gael wants to see children and families protected in this budget,” she said, but added that there are going to be difficult decisions to be made.
Sharing her personal opinion, Fitzgerald said she did not want to see Child Benefit cut.
Reports this morning suggested that a row had erupted within the coalition because of a divergence of views on this issue.
Social Protection Minister Joan Burton told the Sunday Independent that she did not expect there will be cuts to the monthly payments.
In last year’s budget, Child Benefit payments were cut by €10 per child for the first and second children, and by €18 for the third child. At €20, the cut for the fourth-born is even higher.
Currently, the payment for the first, second and third child will be €130. The payment for the fourth child will be €140 but this will be reduced to €130 in January 2014 (as part of Budget 2013 measures).
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say