This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Thursday 20 February, 2020
Advertisement

Man accused of attacking a clamper with a crowbar to face trial

There was a struggle and the complainant’s knee was struck, the court heard yesterday.

File photo
File photo
Image: RollingNews.ie

A 58-YEAR-OLD man has pleaded not guilty to attacking a clamper with a crowbar in Dublin.

John Purdue from Belcamp Avenue, Priorswood, Dublin is charged with assault causing harm and will face trial in January.

He appeared at Dublin District Court before Judge Colin Daly who asked to hear an outline of the allegations to decide on his trial venue.

A court garda sergeant told Judge Daly it was alleged that on 12 September last year there had been an attempt to clamp a van at Northern Cross on the Malahide Road.

It was alleged the defendant became aggressive and got in the van and came out with a crowbar and lunged at the alleged injured party.

There was a struggle and the complainant’s knee was struck, the court heard.

Judge Daly was told that the man’s knee was sore and tender afterwards but there were no long-term injuries. The judge accepted jurisdiction for the case to be dealt with at district court level.

CCTV evidence had been furnished to the defence and the case was listed for the accused to indicate how he was pleading.

Purdue’s solicitor Eoin Lysaght told the court that a hearing date was required. The trial will take one hour, the judge noted.

In the district court, a conviction for the assault causing harm charge can result in a 12-month sentence and a fine.

Comments are closed as legal proceedings are under way. 

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next:

COMMENTS