#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 8°C Monday 24 January 2022
Advertisement

Clontarf residents unhappy with revised flood defence plans

Residents and businesses rejected proposed changes to Dublin City Council’s plans, stating the amendments did not go far enough.

Preparing for floods back in 2010.
Preparing for floods back in 2010.
Image: Photocall Ireland

RESIDENTS AT CLONTARF have rejected Dublin City Council’s proposed changes to the planned flood defence project along the seafront.

The area’s residents’ and business associations attended a meeting with the council this afternoon but expressed “disappointment and dismay” at the revisions to the plans, which will see a wall built along three kilometres of the promenade.

Speaking to TheJournal.ie, Clontarf Business Association chairman Gus O’Hara said the amendments only allowed for a drop of about one or two foot in certain places along the planned wall. Originally, the wall was designed to be as high as 9ft in some places.

“We are still a long way from where we need to be,” said O’Hara.

The associations have accused the council of “ignoring the expressed wishes of thousands of people” in Dublin.

“We have been mandated by the people to fight this project in its current format and we will continue to do so,” said Deirdre Tobin, chairperson of the combined residents’ association.

Those living and working in the area have objected to the plans, citing tourism and security as their main reasons. Last month, some 5,000 people protested against the plans at a rally, which was also attended by local politicians and well-known locals such as Roddy Doyle.

Dublin City Council had no comment to offer on the matter this evening but said the issue will be discussed at a meeting on Monday. Previously, the council has argued that a full consultation was undertaken with the people of the area.

However, the associations say they received no proper notification of the council’s planning application for the project back in 2008.

Although they welcome the need for a flood defence system, they completely reject the current plan.

This is an internationally renowned amenity, much appreciated and valued by people throughout Dublin, the country and abroad. If this plan goes ahead in its current format it will destroy the vicinity and will be a blight on Clontarf forever. We have appealed to the city council to drop its current plans and engage in a proper consultation process with us,” said a statement issued by the joint associations after today’s meeting.

As it stands, construction on the project is due to begin next year.

More: Dublin City Council to meet Clontarf residents over flood wall plans>

Read: Clontarf residents protest over flood wall plans>

Read next:

COMMENTS (21)