Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURE IRELAND has launched a public consultation on the preferred route for Luas Cork, the proposed light rail line linking Ballincollig and Mahon Point.
The consultation opened today and will run until Friday 12 June, coinciding with World Public Transport Day.
Luas Cork is planned as a 27-stop light rail system connecting key locations across the city, including University College Cork, Cork University Hospital, Cork city centre, Kent Station, the Docklands, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Blackrock and Mahon.
The preferred route is largely similar to the version published last year, but includes a number of changes aimed at improving access and reducing local impacts.
The most significant change is at the northern end of Melbourn Road, where the line will now turn east and run uphill past a number of schools and sports clubs before passing through the Cork University Hospital campus.
Click here to see a larger version of the proposed map
The TII has said that this will improve access to CUH and nearby facilities while also reducing congestion in the area.
In Ballincollig, the route has been moved further west to Flynn’s Road, widening the catchment area, while changes on Station Road are aimed at improving access and reducing the impact on nearby religious sites.
TII said it is engaging directly with affected schools, clubs and CUH to refine the design and minimise disruption.
The full list of proposed stops is as follows:
The project forms part of wider plans for Cork’s expansion, with the city expected to grow by up to 60% over the next 20 years.
Large-scale developments in the Docklands are projected to deliver up to 20,000 homes and tens of thousands of jobs.
Taoiseach Micheál Martin said Luas Cork would “modernise and improve transport and connectivity” in the city and encouraged public participation in the consultation process.
Transport Minister Darragh O’Brien said the project would be “transformative”, reducing congestion and emissions while supporting Cork’s designation as a climate-neutral city under an EU mission.
TII and the National Transport Authority have invited the public to view plans and submit feedback online, with a series of in-person information events to be held across the city during the consultation period.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say