This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 20 °C Friday 7 August, 2020
Advertisement

Three teenage boys accused of defilement of girl (15) have case delayed

It is alleged each of the teenagers had sex with a girl at a house party in Dublin.

THREE TEENAGE BOYS charged with the defilement of a 15-year-old girl at her home in Dublin had their case pushed back yesterday at the Courts of Criminal Justice.

They have been accused of having sexual intercourse with a 15-year-old at an address in Dublin in 2014.

Each of the teenage boys is charged with the defilement of a named female child under the age of 17 contrary to Section 3 (1) of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act, 2006.

It is alleged that on the evening in question the girl had drunk a bottle of vodka and that friends brought her back to her home. It is alleged that a house party then occurred at her house, during which five males had sex with her.

Three of the young men accused were present for proceedings in court yesterday.

Despite the case being listed for trial on 25 April, Judge Seán Ryan was told parties had hoped there would be no further delay and the case could proceed.

However, counsel for one of the accused stated the case is still “an ongoing process”.

Judge Ryan asked what was holding up proceedings, for which he was told the delay was due to a judicial review taking place.

The court was told that when the case does go to trial it is expected to take up to six days.

Last year the court was told that gardaí were making their way through 14,500 pages of information from Facebook which the prosecution said would be “substantial” to the case.

An application was also made for video-link to be used when the teenage girl gives evidence.

Addressing the court, the judge said the case is not likely to get a trial date between now and July.

Judge Ryan put the case in for mention on 14 June.

Counsel for one of the accused asked that his client’s passport could be returned to him so that he could travel. The judge granted the request.

Comments have been disabled as legal proceedings are ongoing.  

Read: Three teenage boys accused of defilement of a 15-year-old girl appear before Dublin court>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS