Google Maps image Google Maps

Irish man killed in Malaysia road crash

The 48-year-old was killed when his motorcycle collided with a lorry on Monday morning.

AN IRISH TOURIST has died following a road crash in Malaysia.

The 48-year-old, named locally as Desmond Francis Walsh, was killed instantly when the motorcycle he was driving collided with a lorry on Monday morning.

According to the Malaysian national news agency, the incident occurred at KM 6.3 Jalan Kiulu-Pukak in Sabah. Turan district police chief DSP Zaharuddin Rasid identified the victim and said that his body had been sent to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for a post-mortem.

The lorry driver was detained to assist with investigations. The Daily Express, the national newspaper of east Malaysia, reports that Walsh was travelling on a rented bike.

Rasid told reporters that there is a “slightly steep corner at the scene of the fatal incident” but added that weather was “fine at the time”.

The Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that it is providing consular assistance to the victim’s family.

Yesterday: Irish tourist dies in Turkey>

Close
Comments
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
    JournalTv
    News in 60 seconds