This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 6 °C Thursday 13 December, 2018
Advertisement

These flats are getting a €29 million facelift

The flats were first built in 1961.

29/06/2016. Regeneration Scheme for Dominick Stree Source: Sam Boal/RollingNews.ie

THE FLATS COMPLEX on Lower Dominick Street in Dublin’s north inner city is to get a major revamp.

Residents have been fighting to have the flats, built in 1961, refurbished for over a decade.

Today, the Department of Environment announced that €22 million had been secured from the Department of Public Expenditure to carry out the work.

Residents’ spokesperson Jerry Carney told TheJournal.ie that the money would mean “space and a decent place to live” for many families, some of whom are living “five or six to one- or two-bedroom flats”.

A further €7 million will come from Dublin City Council, who are now working on the Part 8 process of planning and designing the development.

The new units will be situated on the east side of Dominick Street (currently a vacant site). When developed, the new apartments will facilitate the re-housing of 50 households from the existing west side blocks into the newly built, high quality homes. Environment Minister Simon Coveney told locals today that it would also see refurbishment in the flats on the west side of the road and community facilities put in place.

These facilities will include an all-weather sports pitch, a hall and retail units. The Luas cross-city will pass the front of the flats.

World-class

Coveney said that the refurbishment would mean “world-class homes” for people.

“An investment in this area is also a priority from a social policy perspective, encompassing social housing improvements as well as supporting social, community and economic renewal.

“This development is one of the first new major regeneration projects in Dublin’s north inner city, which has seen more than its share of challenges in recent times.”

29/06/2016. Regeneration Scheme for Dominick Stree Ministers Coveney and Donohoe answer questions from the media today. Source: Sam Boal/RollingNews.ie

Minister for Public Expenditure Paschal Donohoe, a local TD, said he was happy to see the funding made available after 11 years.

“The development of this site has been long anticipated by the residents of Dominick Street. This announcement is proof of the Government’s commitment to invest in the North Inner City and it is a pleasure to be associated with an event that will have positive outcomes for north inner city residents.”

The new development will also create 22 new homes for people on the council’s housing list. Coveney accepted that wasn’t a massive number in a national context, but said it would be an example for regeneration across the capital.

The plan will be investigated by Dublin City Council before being signed off on by Department of Environment officials “within days” after that.

The Department will be providing €21.615m for the residential element and €540,000 towards community facilities as part of the development.

Read: Missing woman Karen Scott found safe and well

Read: Dublin’s Port Tunnel was forced to close … because of a kitten

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (52)