This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 2 °C Friday 15 November, 2019
Advertisement

€48,000 in funding for victims of Dublin-Monaghan bombings

The Tánaiste met with a support group for victims and the families of those killed yesterday.

A man injured in the bomb which exploded on Nassau Street in Dublin.
A man injured in the bomb which exploded on Nassau Street in Dublin.
Image: AP/Press Association Images

TÁNAISTE EAMON GILMORE announced yesterday that a grant of €48,000 will be given to a support group for victims and relatives of those killed in the Dublin and Monaghan Bombings in 1974.

The bombings marked the deadliest day of The Troubles, with 33 killed in total, including a pregnant woman, and hundreds injured.

Speaking ten days ahead of the 40th anniversary of the tragedies, following a meeting with members of the Justice for the Forgotten, Gilmore said the group had been working “steadfastly over many years on behalf of the families of those killed and injured on that terrible day”.

He said the meeting, “as well as other recent events in Northern Ireland”, are a reminder that more needs to be done to address the legacy of the conflict.

“I call in particular on the Northern Ireland parties to demonstrate a renewed commitment to resolving the outstanding issues discussed in the Haass talks,” he continued. “This continues to offer the best means of dealing with the legacy of the past as well as addressing parades, flags and identity issues.”

Justice for the Forgotten is one of 75 groups that will receive support totalling €1,335,500 from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade under its Reconciliation and Anti-Sectarianism Funds.

Examples of other projects include:

  • A project to develop an agreed cross-community anti-sectarianism charter led by Interaction Belfast;
  • A storytelling project to deal with the legacy of the past, led by the Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace based in Warrington, UK;
  • A project involving two rural communities in counties Donegal and Tyrone will be led by the Forge Family Resource Centre – activities include a cross-community cross-border youth club and an intergenerational project to enable older residents share their experiences with young people;
  • ‘Top of the Hill 2010’, who will engage residents at an interface point in Derry by implementing a range of educational and social activities to promote inclusion and the use of shared space.

Related: Britain ‘does not intend’ to hand over Dublin-Monaghan files>

Read: Sinn Féin tables motion urging UK to release Dublin-Monaghan files>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (16)

This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy here before taking part.
write a comment

    Leave a commentcancel