This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 17 °C Thursday 2 July, 2020
Advertisement

Ex-News of the World editor joins NY Daily News

Colin Myler will now go head-to-head with the Murdoch-owned New York Post in the city’s daily tabloid sales war.

Myler with the final copy of the News of the World following the phone hacking scandal which brought about the paper's demise.
Myler with the final copy of the News of the World following the phone hacking scandal which brought about the paper's demise.
Image: Yui Mok/PA Wire/Press Association Images

FORMER NEWS OF the World editor Colin Myler is to join the New York Daily News as its editor-in-chief, BBC News reports today.

Myler was the last person to hold the top job at the now-defunct News of the World after succeeding Andy Coulson in 2007.

He was at the helm when the phone hacking scandal erupted last year following revelations that the newspaper was involved in the hacking of missing schoolgirl Milly Dowler’s phone.

Although he was not in charge at the time of the hacking, he has been criticised for heading up a cover-up operation, including pay-outs to numerous celebrities.

Myler’s new role as top editor of the Daily News tabloid puts him in direct competition with his old boss as Rupert Murdoch’s New York Post -where incidentally he used to work – is the paper’s biggest rival.

The Liverpudlian replaces Kevin Convey at the Mort Zuckerman-owned Daily News, which has a circulation of about 600,000 – beating the NY Post by about 90,000 units.

In reporting the change of leadership at its rival, the New York Post said Myler will be entering a “deeply divided and demoralised newsroom” when he takes over on 10 January.

Myler told the Guardian that there is a touch of irony about his new position but added that he was looking forward to getting back to work after being laid off in July.

“It’s going to be fun,” he said.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS