Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

This is what could happen if you leave a charging device on your bed

A fire broke out in an apartment in Dublin 8 last night after a device that was charging on a bed caught fire.

Updated at 8.35pm

A FIRE BROKE out in a Dublin apartment last night when a device which was charging burst into flames.

The device was on the duvet in the bedroom and caused extensive damage to the Islandbridge apartment.

Tweeting out photos, Dublin Fire Brigade (DFB) gave a stern warning to people to be careful about where they leave their charging phones, laptops and tablets.

“Bed and gadgets don’t mix,” it warned.

The National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) are advising the public to check that their electrical devices carry the CE mark, meaning they comply with safety standards.

Director of corporate services Pat Bracken said:

Although the device may be manufactured to the correct safety standards, it can still become very dangerous, very quickly, if not used in the appropriate environment.
Electrical products like hair straighteners, hairdryers, laptops and phone chargers can be incredibly dangerous if left on beds or sofas. Although duvets and quilts often undergo flammability tests, accidents like this can still occur.

It’s not the first time the DFB issued warnings to people about the safety of leaving charging devices unattended.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Last year, it released photos of what can happen when a phone charger overheats.

DFB added that plug-in air fresheners also have to be treated carefully.

Originally published 10.51am

Read: 18 pups found in car boot at Dublin Port, one fighting for his life>

Read: 140 Tipperary jobs to go as Bulmers maker C&C to close plants>

Read next:

COMMENTS (38)