#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 12°C Wednesday 28 July 2021
Advertisement

Police try to identify six people who helped Hillsborough victims

Some 40 images have been released by police overall in this operation.

Source: Operation Resolve

POLICE IN THE UK have released another batch of images of potential witnesses they believe could assist the Hilsborough investigation.

The investigation, labelled Operation Resolve, has released pictures of more than 40 people altogether, though many have now been identified.

96 football fans lost their lives at the FA Cup semi final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in 1989. The police chief at the time has since taken responsibility for the incident as police let too many people enter a section of the stadium and this resulted in the victims being crushed to death in the crowd.

Today’s release focuses on CCTV images of six people who police say helped some of the victims on the day.

Assistant Commissioner Jon Stoddard, who is in command of the operation, said the response to their first two appeals was “superb” and police are grateful to the public for taking the time to visit the website to view the images.

“These people could have important information that will help the families in answering some of their unanswered questions and also assist the ongoing inquest process.

“As I have said previously, what we are doing is unusual and I cannot reiterate the importance of people heeding the warnings and advice issued by the coroner and the office of the Attorney General.

“It is important that people do not pass comment on our appeal or any other aspect of the Hillsborough disaster on social media and forums.”

Read: ‘I probably wasn’t the best man for the job on the day,’ says Hillsborough police chief>

Read: Police chief admits causing 96 deaths at Hillsborough>

Read next:

COMMENTS