This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 12 °C Sunday 21 April, 2019
Advertisement

Man due in Dublin court as part of four-year sex trafficking probe

In 2012, gardaí identified a number of Polish women as victims of sexual exploitation.

Image: Eamonn Farrell/RollingNews.ie

A MAN IS due in court today charged in connection with an ongoing human trafficking investigation.

The 38-year-old man was arrested by gardaí in Dublin earlier this afternoon. In February 2012, an investigation was launched into the human trafficking of Polish nationals into the state by organised criminal groups for the purpose of sexual exploitation.

A number of victims were identified and interviewed. Gardaí said these women are continuing to receive support from Ruhama and the HSE.

At the time, five suspects were arrested and detained. They were released without charge and a file was forwarded to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The 38-year-old man arrested today will be the second person to face charges following the four-year investigation.

On Wednesday, a man in his 30s was charged before a sitting of Athlone District Court under human trafficking legislation.

Gardaí said valuable assistance was provided throughout the investigation by the Police National Trafficking Unit, the PSNI, Europol and Interpol.

Comments are closed as a number of individuals have been charged. 

Read: ‘One woman didn’t even know she was in Ireland’: The reality of being sold for sex>

Read: Six people, including teenage girl, arrested in connection with human trafficking in Meath>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS