This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 8 °C Wednesday 20 November, 2019
Advertisement

Croatia's PM says he fears the worst for ISIS hostage, can't confirm death

The Islamic State group claims to have beheaded Tomislav Salopek, who was abducted last month in Egypt.

Image: Screengrab from an ISIS video of Salopek, posted earlier this month.

CROATION PRIME MINISTER Zoran Milanovic has said he’s unable to confirm the death of a hostage from the country that the Islamic State group claims to have beheaded – but that he fears the worst.

“At this moment we cannot confirm with 100-percent certainty that this is true and I don’t know if we will be able to confirm that in the coming days, but what we see does not look good, looks horrible,” Milanovic told reporters.

The Islamic State group claims to have beheaded Tomislav Salopek, who was abducted last month in Egypt, posting a purported picture of the victim’s body on IS-affiliated Twitter accounts.

The picture’s authenticity could not be immediately verified.

If confirmed, this would be the first time a Croatian citizen has been murdered by jihadists.

However, Milanovic said his government would not give up as long as there is a hope.

“We will not stop searching (for Salopek) as long as a slightest hope exists,” he said.

The government, he said, was keeping in contact with foreign institutions and leaders to seek their advice.

Croatia is “at the full disposal” of the Salopek family, Milanovic added.

© AFP, 2015

Read: Isis threatens to execute European hostage unless jailed women are freed

Read: Irish Muslim assaulted at Dublin mosque by extremist sympathiser

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (20)