Advertisement

Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Wednesday 8 February 2023 Dublin: 10°C
Niall Carson/PA Wire John Joe Nevin
# Mullingar
Man arrested over John Joe Nevin attack released
Gardaí confirmed that the man was released from custody last night.

A MAN ARRESTED in connection with an attack on Olympic silver medallist John Joe Nevin has been released without charge.

Gardaí confirmed that the man was released from custody last night and a file is to be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Nevin, who won the bantamweight silver medal at the London Olympics in 2012, is recovering in hospital after he suffered a broken leg in the incident on Saturday morning.

Nevin had been trying to stop a fight between his uncle and his uncle’s two sons when he was attacked, his promoters said last night.

The double leg break is expected to keep the 24-year-old out of the ring for between two and three months.

Two other people – a man and a woman, both in their 20s –  were also hospitalised with minor injuries following the dispute.

Gardaí have said that enquiries are ongoing.

Previously: Man arrested after Olympic medallist John Joe Nevin injured in Mullingar attack > 

Your Voice
Readers Comments
64