This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
Dublin: 5 °C Wednesday 1 April, 2020

'Deep concerns' about psychiatric well-being of teen charged with Adam Muldoon murder

The body of the 23-year-old was discovered in Butler Park on Saturday.

Image: Sam Boal

A 17-YEAR-old boy has been remanded in custody with an order that he was to get “urgent psychiatric attention” after he was charged with the murder of Adam Muldoon who was found dead following a stabbing in Tallaght, Dublin at the weekend.

The body of Adam Muldoon, 23, from Tallaght, who had been affected by homelessness, was found at 6.30am on Saturday at Butler Park. Muldoon, who had cerebral palsy, had sustained stab wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

His body was later removed to the city morgue at Whitehall where a post-mortem was carried out by the assistant State Pathologist Dr Bolster.

The Tallaght youth, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, had been arrested at the weekend and was brought to appear before Judge John O’Connor at the Dublin Children’s Court this morning.

He was charged with the murder of 23-year-old Adam Muldoon on 23 June at Butler Park, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

Dressed in a white t-shirt, grey bottoms and grey runners, the youth sat back with his arms folded as evidence was given by Detective Garda Nuala Burke of Rathfarnham station.

‘Deep concerns’

She told the court the teenager was arrested for the purpose of being charged in relation to murder contrary to common law. She said he was cautioned that anything he said would be taken down and he made no reply.

The charge was then put to them after which he was cautioned again and in reply to the charge he said, “No.” He was then handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Due to the nature of the charge the Children’s Court cannot grant bail and an application will have to be made in the High Court to get released pending trial.

The boy, who did not address the court, was accompanied to the proceedings by his visibly upset grandparents. Judge O’Connor asked defence solicitor Michael Hennessy if medical attention was required for the teenage defendant.

“I have deep concerns about my client’s psychiatric well-being, I would ask for a direction for urgent psychiatric attention on arrival at the place of detention,”  Hennessy said.

Judge O’Connor acceded to that request.

After gardaí and the court probation officer confirmed there was a place available, Judge O’Connor remanded the boy in custody to the Oberstown detention centre. He will face his next hearing at a sitting of Tallaght Children’s Court on Friday.

Legal aid was granted.

The judge also reminded journalists in court that the laws in relation the teen’s right to anonymity must not be breached and he added, “I’m particularly focusing on social media.”

The teen was hugged by his grandparents just before he was escorted from the courtroom. His grandmother burst into tears as she left.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article

About the author:

Tom Tuite

Read next: