#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 5°C Thursday 25 February 2021

Emotional radio as Dublin woman speaks with the man who cared for her father as he died

Jimmy Talbot died of a heart attack in June and until today daughter Ingrid Murphy did not know what happened.

Liveline put the two people in touch.
Liveline put the two people in touch.
Image: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland

THE DAUGHTER OF a man who died of a heart attack on a Dublin street made emotional contact with the man who cared for him when he died after she contacted RTÉ’s Liveline.

Jimmy Talbot (76) was walking down Blackhall Place onto Arran Quay at about 12.30 pm on Monday 29 June when he fell onto the path. He had had a fatal heart attack.

Speaking this afternoon on RTÉ’s Liveline, his daughter Ingrid Murphy says that the family did know much more than that but heard that somebody waited with him as before the ambulance arrived.

“All we know is someone saw him fall on Arran Quay,” she explained.

“Seemingly, he fell and he passed away, but there was somebody there, whoever this person was, we’ve been told. We don’t their name or even know if they’re a man or a woman, but they gave him CPR while waiting on the ambulance.”

“He died there, we don’t know whether the fall gave him the heart attack or he had a heart attack and then fell,” she added.

The daughter says that her father suffered a serious head injury thirty years ago but that apart from that he had a clean bill of health. He was coming from brain injury support service Headway when he died.

Ingrid said that her mother found out that Jimmy had passed about four hours later, after gardaí had called a number of times looking for her.

Now, with her mother out of the country, she said that her and her seven other siblings were hoping to find out some more information about what happened.

“I’d love to be able to give her news, because she’s asking what happened, and I’d love to be able to say that this person looked after him.”

“He had eight children and he was loved by us all and he didn’t want to die on his own. And this poor person was the last friend he had. We’d just like to know, if this person would like to get in contact with us so we could thank them for being there with him.

Her plea worked. Langton (75) called the show to explain how he got out of his van after seeing Jimmy Talbot lying on the ground and gave him CPR.

“I was passing by in a van, dropping my son Jim into town when I seen the man lying in the path, and I jumped out of the van, and so did Jim, to see what was wrong with him,” Jerry explained.

“Luckily enough, there were three girls from Brazil there who were on a holiday and a nurse. The nurse was very helpful. The man was lying, very dreadfully looking, and I took his teeth out and we called an ambulance and the fire brigade and all that. It was very sad.”

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Ingrid then tearfully asked Jerry was her father dead at this point.

“He was gone I think straight away, God bless him he just collapsed. But I remember one thing, to me, looking at him, he was a lovely man.”

“Thanks for taking out his teeth,” said Murphy “That was the first thing we said.”

Langton  explained that he had tried to get on contact with the family before this but some crossed wires made it difficult.

“I made all sorts on inquires as to who he was and I got the wrong name. And I went to the hospital and I went to Fire Brigade in Townsend St, where he was and nobody seemed to know anything about him. But it was all down to the wrong name.”

Read: Girl tells Joe Duffy how she tried to amputate her own finger with an axe >

Read: Councillor attacked by man who said he “smirked” at him >

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next: