This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 1 °C Monday 18 November, 2019
Advertisement

Here's what we know so far about the London Tube stabbing attack

Police say a 56-year-old man who was injured in the stabbing is in a stable condition today.

Source: Jonathan Brady/PA

POLICE IN LONDON have released further information about a terrorist attack in a Tube station yesterday evening.

Two people were injured when a man wielding a large knife attacked and threatened commuters in the underground station in Leytonstone.

The attack

Witnesses have claimed the man shouted “this is for Syria” before launching his attack.

Source: Kate Ferguson/PA

Salim Patel, who runs a shop at the station, told Sky News there was shouting after a train pulled in.

Then I saw the guy attacking the victim, punching him so hard. The victim was screaming “please somebody help me. Help”.
Then the attacker started kicking him on the floor. I think the victim was unconscious, he passed out. Then the attacker took a knife out and started stabbing him as he lay on the floor.

Police say they were called to the station just after 7pm to reports of a number of people stabbed and a suspect threatening people with a knife.

Officers from Waltham Forest borough arrived at the scene within five minutes of the emergency calls and were confronted by the man who was still in possession of a knife. They attempted to engage with him, but he became violent towards them and they discharged tasers at him to disarm him.

The man who was arrested is 29 years old and remains in custody at an east London police station.

Witness Khayam told the BBC that when the suspect was taken to a police van, “I saw pedestrians shouting at him… one pedestrian tried to throw a bottle.”

Source: Jonathan Brady/PA

The victims

At the scene yesterday, officers gave first aid to a 56-year-old man who had sustained serious knife injuries to his neck. He was taken to hospital by ambulance and remains in a stable condition.

A second man sustained a minor injury during the incident; he did not require medical assistance. A woman was threatened by the suspect but was not injured.

The underground station reopened at 3am this morning.

Detectives are today searching a residential address in east London in connection with the incident.

Leytonstone stabbing Commander Richard Walton, who leads the Met's Counter Terrorism Command. Source: Lauren Hurley/PA

Commander Richard Walton, who leads Counter Terrorism Command, described it as “an unprovoked violent knife attack”.

He urged those who filmed the suspect on their mobile phones during the attack to speak to police and share their footage.

I would continue to urge the public to remain calm, but alert and vigilant. The threat from terrorism remains at severe, which means that a terrorist attack is highly likely.

He told Sky News that police are not precisely sure what was behind the attack.

Police response

Detective Superintendent Jacqueline Sebire, from Waltham Forest also said this incident highlights the risks taken by police officers on a daily basis.

When they are called to incidents such as these, they enter, not knowing what awaits them.

“I would like to take this opportunity to praise not only their bravery in confronting the man who was in possession of a knife, but also their quick response in providing first aid to the victim whilst offering reassurance to the many members of the public who were travelling through the underground.”

Read: Three injured in London underground “terrorist incident”>

Read: Londoners respond to Tube station terrorist attack with #YouAintNoMuslimBruv>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (41)