#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 9°C Sunday 28 February 2021
Advertisement

MCD slams Garda over Phoenix Park gig

“No evidence to suggest the Concert Site was unsuitable and Gardai were aware from February2012 of the identity of the headline act” says concert promoter.

A general view of the concert site at the Phoenix Park the day after the Swedish House Mafia concert
A general view of the concert site at the Phoenix Park the day after the Swedish House Mafia concert
Image: Niall Carson/PA Wire/Press Association Images

CONCERT PROMOTER MCD has slammed An Garda Siochana’s handling of the controversial Phoenix Park concerts in July.

In a strongly worded review of their actions during the weekend concerts, during which several people were stabbed and one person died, MCD said that there was “No evidence to suggest the Concert Site was unsuitable and Gardai were aware from February 2012 of the identity of the headline act for the concert on the 7th July 2012″.

At no stage was there an objection “to either the Licence Application for the event itself, or the Liquor Licence application to operate the bars at such event.”

While there were laws in place to deal with anti-social behaviour, ”Gardai failed to properly implement such laws both within the vicinity of Phoenix Park and further afield on the day of the concert.”

In response to accusations that the Gardai did not have access to CCTV, the promoter said that “at no stage during the event were  the Gardai either refused access to, or obstructed in using any such equipment.”

At no stage  did the Gardai state they intended to do so, or make a request to directly operate such  CCTV cameras, nor did the Gardai raise any concerns, or make any complaints regarding  the suitability or otherwise of the said CCTV facility as provided by the Promoter.   Indeed,  had the Gardai done so, the matter would have been dealt with immediately to their satisfaction.

Speaking at the Joint Policing Committee for Dublin Central this morning, Deputy Joe Costello condemnded the failure of the relevant authorites to adequately protect concert goers at the weekends concerts.

While the existing protocols sounded fine in theory, nevertheless, it was incontestable that there had been rampant drug and alcohol abuse, culminating in violence, a fatality and injuries inside the Phoenix Park, and little or no security for the thousands of residents in the streets surrounding the Park, who were subjected to a range of antisocial behaviour as the concert goers entered and left the Park.”

The site of the original Phoenix Park gig will not be restored for another five weeks, according to the Office of Public Works.

Swedish House Mafia fallout: Gardaí and MCD praise successful Marlay Park operations>

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (60)