#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 15°C Sunday 17 October 2021
Advertisement

This photographer's 'migrant chic' fashion shoot hasn't gone down very well

He has since taken it offline.

PHOTOGRAPHER NORBERT BASKA didn’t quite receive the reaction he had hoped for when he published his latest fashion shoot, entitled Der Migrant.

The series of photos was inspired by the migrant crisis currently sweeping Europe. Baska reenacted with models footage that appeared in the media.

However, he has since taken the shoot offline after experiencing a backlash on social media.

“Realise the complexity of the situation and address it in different angles,” Baska said on Twitter initially, defending the work, “Entiehr pro nor con, raising awareness.”

My aim is not to offend refugees or anybody else, but to show the duality in news reports in the media.

Not everyone saw it this way.

In a statement posted on his Twitter page earlier this afternoon, Baska said that he has “experienced a lot of negative feedback since the publication of our photo series Der Migrant, although more and more people recognise the true message behind the pictures and agree with it”.

“Since the aim of the photo shooting was precisely to make people examine the situation from a different angle and judge from different points of view, considering the heated emotions and because, despite our intentions, many unfortunately consider the pictures offending, we have decided to remove the series from our website.

He appealed for people to form opinions on art like this “calmly”.

Read: Body of baby boy found washed up on beach of Kos hotel >

About the author:

Nicky Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (15)