This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 13 °C Wednesday 15 July, 2020
Advertisement

Nigerian authorities 'furious' parents of four girls failed to say children had safely returned

Authorities have revised down number of girls kidnapped. There are 219 girls still missing.

A police officer stands guard as people attend a demonstration calling on the government to rescue the kidnapped girls.
A police officer stands guard as people attend a demonstration calling on the government to rescue the kidnapped girls.
Image: Sunday Alamba

FOUR MORE GIRLS than previously thought escaped from their captures in Nigeria last month.

Authorities in northeast Nigeria yesterday revised downward by four the number of schoolgirls held captive by Boko Haram, denying media reports that the hostages had escaped from the Islamists in recent days.

A source at the government in northeastern Borno state who requested anonymity said the number of girls who are currently missing was now 219, not 223 as previously reported by most media.

Police in Borno said 276 girls were kidnapped by the Islamists on April 14 from a secondary school in the town of Chibok.

Hostages

Authorities had said that 53 of the hostages had escaped in the first days following the attack.

But, following closer investigation, it emerged that in fact 57 had run to freedom shortly after the attack but that the parents of four girls had neglected to inform officials that their children had safely returned, according to the source.

Borno’s education commissioner, the point man on the hostage crisis, revealed the revised figures to members of a presidential committee when the panel visited the state capital Maiduguri last week, the source added.

Furious

The commissioner “was furious with the parents for keeping the government in the dark,” about the fact their children were among those who had escaped, the source added.

Nigeria’s remote northeast has a poor mobile phone network and shoddy roads, hampering communication in an area hit hard by Boko Haram’s deadly five-year uprising.

Some local media on Wednesday reported that the girls had escaped in recent days or had perhaps been released by the Islamists after falling ill.

Calculating the number of girls taken in the attack has been hampered from the outset by conflicting reports from parents, officials and the security forces.

Days after the attack, the military said all but eight girls had been freed, a claim that was swiftly retracted.

Some parents in Chibok have insisted that more than 300 girls were taken, but in recent weeks most media have reported the figures provided by police in Borno, which have the backing of the state government.

- © AFP, 2014

Read: 500 African migrants leapt a fence into Spanish territory today>

Read:  Writer Maya Angelou has died at 86>

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (23)