#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Thursday 28 October 2021
Advertisement

Orange Order parades banned from passing Ardoyne shopfronts

The order has vowed to stage a protest at the location every weekend until it is allowed complete its ‘July Twelfth’ parade.

Riot police dealing with petrol bombs during violence earlier this month
Riot police dealing with petrol bombs during violence earlier this month
Image: Peter Morrison/AP/Press Association Images

THE ORANGE ORDER has again been denied permission to march along a route that has been a flashpoint for violence in Belfast recent weeks.

The Parades Commission has ruled against another two applications requesting that the order be allowed march past the Ardoyne shops on the Crumlin Road. The applications relate to this Saturday and Saturday week.

Rioting followed the initial decision to prevent three lodges from walking the route as part of the traditional ‘July 12th’ celebrations.

The order has vowed to stage a protest there every week until it completes its original Twelfth parade.

The Commission’s ruling says the lodges and bands cannot proceed past the junction of Woodvale Road and Woodvale Parade and the junction of Hesketh Road and Crumlin Road.

In addition, the parades watchdog says the event must disperse by 4.30pm.

Read: Petrol bombs, paint bombs and fireworks seized in Belfast >

Read: Gilmore condemns ‘appalling’ attacks on police in Belfast >

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (123)