#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 14°C Saturday 18 September 2021
Advertisement

Search called off after woman 'falls overboard from cruise ship'

A 74-year-old woman was reported missing yesterday, a day after the ship set sail from New York.

Queen Mary 2 docked in new York earlier this year.
Queen Mary 2 docked in new York earlier this year.
Image: Richard Drew AP/Press Association Images

THE SEARCH HAS been called off for a woman believed to have fallen overboard from the Queen Mary 2 cruise ship.

The ship left New York on Thursday and was en route to St Martin in the Caribbean.

Naval officer David Micallef told BBC News a 74-year-old woman had been reported missing in the early hours of Friday.

It’s believed the woman is British.

In a statement, Cunard, the company which operates the ship, said: “It is with sadness we can confirm that after a comprehensive search, working with all relevant authorities, Queen Mary 2 has halted the search for a missing guest, presumed overboard…

“Cunard’s care team is offering every support to the family.”

Read: Carrie Fisher in intensive care after ‘heart attack on flight’

Read: Trump ally wants Obama to ‘die from mad cow disease’ and Michelle to ‘return to being male’

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

About the author:

Órla Ryan

Read next:

COMMENTS (8)