Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

RTÉ
Portiuncula Hospital

Couple who lost two babies at Portiuncula Hospital hope review will help other parents

Lorraine and Warren Reilly asked that the deaths of their two girls be considered in he current HSE review of maternity services.

A COUPLE WHO lost two of their babies at Portiuncula Hospital in Ballinasloe will be included in the current HSE review of maternity services.

Lorraine and Warren Reilly had asked that the deaths of their two girls be considered in the review after they heard about it. This afternoon it was confirmed that their daughter Amber’s death in 2010 will be included.

The couple were told of the decision this morning. The hospital also said today an additional six families will be met with next week.

Lorraine and Warren have been provided with a review by the hospital into the death of baby Amber in 2010, after she suffered oxygen deprivation at birth. The infant received head cooling treatment at Holles Street but died six days later.

The report into her death found that midwives did not tell the mother’s obstetrician of her arrival or about the progress of her labour, despite the fact that she was “high risk”, RTÉ reported.  It also identified failures to accurately interpret readings of the baby’s heartbeat.

Speaking to RTÉ’s Six One news this evening, Warren Reilly said it had been difficult to share the details of their little girl’s death with the public but they felt it was necessary for the benefit of other parents.

“Looking at the report we got on Tuesday, all that was said at the back, if they had done all that was said at the back there would be a lot less of these cases coming up since,” his wife said.

An initial review into the care of seven babies was first announced by the hospital last month as it confirmed two babies died and five others had been deprived of oxgyen in laour.

At the time, it said there were “apparent deficiencies in intra-partum care”, including in the interpretation and review of CTG tracings, administration of drugs to accelerate labour and instrumental delivery”.

Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe again stressed today that corrective measures have been put in place at the maternity unity and that they remain in place.

These were designed to address quality of care issues in relation to intra-partum care that had been identified. Regular re-audits have confirmed the on-going full implementation of the corrective measures.

It said it is satisfied that there is no continuing patient safety concern arising from the issues identified.

“Portiuncula Hospital Ballinasloe-Saolta University Health Care Group regret any distress that is being caused to the families involved and offers any services that they may require to support them in dealing with the issues that arise.”

Read: ‘I hoped it was just nature and that we were just unlucky, but no’>

Read: Two babies died and give more were deprived of oxygen at Galway maternity hospital>

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Your Voice
Readers Comments
5
    Submit a report
    Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
    Thank you for the feedback
    Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.