#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Saturday 24 October 2020

Probe launched after girl, 13, dies in crash during police pursuit

The girl was a back-seat passenger in a car not involved in the pursuit. It was hit by another vehicle which was being followed by police.

Image: PA/PA Wire/Press Association Images

POLICE IN LONDON have launched an investigation into the circumstances of a fatal car crash which occurred during a police pursuit on Sunday.

Scotland Yard confirmed the death of a 13-year-old girl who was travelling in her family’s vehicle when it was involved in a collision with a car that was being pursued by police.

At about 6.24pm yesterday, two cars (a Peugeot 308 and a Volkswagen Polo) collided at Ilderton Road in South Bermondsey.

The Peugeot was being pursued by a marked police car at the time of the incident.

The chase was initiated in Queens Road, Peckham after the Peugeot triggered a positive hit on the automatic number plate recognition system of an Metropolitan Police Service vehicle.

The victim was sitting in the rear of the Volkswagen and died at the scene from her injuries. A post mortem exam will be carried out tomorrow morning and an inquest is planned.

The teenager’s mother, father and four-year-old brother, who were also travelling in the car, were taken to hospital for treatment. The man remains in hospital but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

The male driver of the Peugeot was arrested and taken into custody, where he remains. The female passenger was taken to hospital suffering from minor injuries. She was not arrested.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

Officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards and Road Death Investigation Unit are investigating last night’s events. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has been informed and an investigator attended the scene.

The police car had its ‘blues and twos’ in operation.

Commander Tony Eastaugh said: “An innocent family are now dealing with the tragic loss of a loved one. The Metropolitan Police has begun a thorough investigation into the circumstances of this terrible incident. The thoughts of our staff and officers are with the family at this time.”

Read next: