Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
Sign in. It’s quick, free and it’s up to you.
An account is an optional way to support the work we do. Find out more.
THE MINISTER FOR Justice has said prosecution is expected in the case of Denis Donaldson, who was shot dead in Co Donegal in 2006 after being revealed to be an IRA informer.
Minister Jim O’Callaghan made the statement today following a meeting with Mr Donaldson’s daughter, Jane Kearney and her husband, Ciarán.
Kearney called for a public inquiry into the killing earlier this year after Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams’s successful defamation action against the BBC.
O’Callaghan said that an inquiry is not appropriate given that proceedings for a prosecution are underway.
He said “it is a matter of regret” that justice has not yet been served almost 20 years after Mr Donaldson’s killing and he met Kearney and her husband to hear their concerns regarding the investigation.
“I assured the Donaldson family that the Garda criminal investigation into Mr Donaldson’s killing remains active and open,” he said in a statement today.
“Furthermore, I have been informed by Garda authorities that directions have been received to prosecute an individual for offences in this case and proceedings are underway in this regard.
“In those circumstances, I conveyed to the Donaldson family that I did not consider it appropriate to establish a separate commission of inquiry.”
Donaldson was shot dead in a remote part of the Glenties, months after admitting his role as a police and MI5 agent over 20 years.
After the Good Friday Agreement, Donaldson worked in Stormont on behalf of Sinn Féin.
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
have your say