Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now
Advertisement

Runaway boy (13) drives father's Mercedes across Europe

The teenager ran away from his adoptive parents in Italy and was driving towards Poland – before being stopped in Germany.

"Drivin' along in my automobile..."
Image: Mercedes photo via Shutterstock

A 13-YEAR-OLD BOY ran away from his adoptive parents in Italy, taking his father’s Mercedes and driving 1,000 kilometres towards his native Poland before being stopped in Germany.

The boy  - a go-kart enthusiast –  managed to pass motorway toll booths and cross two international borders in his two-day drive across northern Italy, Austria and half of Germany.

“He looks like a 16-year-old, but still! He managed to fuel up and pass two borders. It’s just incredible,” Eleonora Spadati, head of local Carabinieri police in Montebelluna in northeast Italy where the boy ran from, said today.

Spadati said the boy missed Poland and wanted to see his biological sister.

Just before leaving on Thursday with just €200 in his pocket and a passport, he had also argued with his parents after they confiscated his mobile phone as a punishment for topping up its credit without their consent.

The boy’s parents quickly realised their son might have tried to go to Poland and contacted local Italian police, asking for an alert along his possible route.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

German traffic police picked him up just 200 kilometres from the Polish border on Friday.

Spadati said she had been contacted by the Polish consulate asking after the boy, and social workers will increase checks on the family once they return to Italy on Sunday.

- © AFP, 2013

Read: Memory-loss tourist puzzles Austrian police >

About the author:

AFP

Read next:

COMMENTS (47)