#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 4°C Friday 27 November 2020

'She was my angel': Funeral of two-year-old Santina Cawley takes place in Cork city

The toddler died after being found critically injured in an apartment in the city.

The funeral of the two-year-old child took place this morning.
The funeral of the two-year-old child took place this morning.
Image: Go Fund Me

Updated Jul 12th 2019, 12:05 PM

THE FUNERAL OF two-year-old Santina Cawley took place in Cork city this morning. 

The Mass for the two-year-old child was heard in the Cathedral of St Mary and St Anne at 11am. 

The principal celebrant of the Mass was Fr Oscar O’Leary, who has ministered to the family throughout the years. 

O’Leary read out words from Santina’s mother Bridget at the start of the service: “She was my angel. She always made me smile and laugh. She always knew what she wanted and she was very fond of Teletubbies.”

Music was provided by the organist and the cathedral’s choir, with the service streamed online

Santina was found critically injured in an apartment in the city in the early hours of last Friday. She was rushed to hospital but died shortly afterwards. 

Since the toddler’s death last week, flowers and teddy bears have been left outside the Elderwood Complex in Boreenmanna Road where she was found. 

A Go Fund Me Page was set up by Cork’s Red FM after a family friend appeared on the Neil Prendeville show appealing for help to cover the cost of Santina’s funeral. 

Since the page was set up on Tuesday, it has far surpassed the €8,000 goal and was approaching €13,000 as of this morning.  

Many people donating to the page have been leaving tributes for the young child and condolences for family.

“I have no words to comprehend how a lovely little girl’s life was ended under such tragedy. I hope Santina’s little soul is safe and at peace,” one person wrote. 

Another said: “You will forever be in my thoughts beautiful little angel, my deepest condolences to your family xx xx.”

A friend of Santina’s mother spoke to Red FM earlier this week and said the young baby died in her mother’s arms in the hospital. 

“The woman is in shock and so are her kids. It’s a hard thing to deal with and it’s a hard thing to explain to your children,” Mary told the programme. 

“Everyone is rallying around to help out. The girl is numb, she’s in total shock, which is to be expected.”

The removal took place from O’Connor’s Funeral Home yesterday evening. 

Gardaí are still appealing for witnesses as part of their investigations into the death of the infant.   

A woman who was arrested in connection with the murder of Santina was released without charge on Tuesday and a file is now being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions. 

With reporting by Dominic McGrath

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next: