This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 4 °C Thursday 12 December, 2019
Advertisement

Family struggling with costs after son (20) breaks his back diving into Ibiza pool

Sean Paul McCabe’s family say he broke his back in two places.

The family have shared a picture of Sean Paul in his hospital bed.
The family have shared a picture of Sean Paul in his hospital bed.
Image: Go Fund Me

A BELFAST FAMILY are seeking the public’s help to stay by the bedside of 20-year-old Sean Paul McCabe who broke his back when diving into a swimming pool in Ibiza.

A Go Fund Me page has been set up by the family who say that he only booked the holiday two days before he left and did not buy travel insurance.

His sister Denise wrote that he broke his back in two places last Wednesday week and had an emergency operation the following day. She says that his “spinal cord was minutes away from snapping”.

McCabe remains in intensive care and is due to have another surgery to bolt metal rods to his spine.

In an interview with Belfast Live from San Antonio, his mother Edith says that the father-of-one is still in danger.

“Every day is critical at the moment because the break is so close to his heart the bones could slip and go into the heart,” she said.

“If he had insurance he would get the operation straight away but because he has no insurance we are waiting for documentation from the embassy to say the treatment will be paid for.”

Edith says that her son’s two-year-old son Rhiley is set to travel to Ibiza to see his father.

Denise explains that it would cost an estimated £20,000 to bring him back to Belfast, something she says is “impossible”.

PastedImage-24650 Source: Go Fund Me

Instead, the family are looking for financial help so they can stay with him as he’s receiving treatment.

“Any help use can give us through this tragic time will be very much appreciated so we can stay by my brothers side thank you.”

So far the family have raised almost half of their £5,000 target since they launched the appeal yesterday.

Read: Fund for homeless people set up after Galway man dies alone in London >

Read: A 29-year-old woman has postponed her death to continue to fight against brain cancer >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

About the author:

Rónán Duffy

Read next:

COMMENTS (17)