#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 9°C Wednesday 21 October 2020
Advertisement

Search for missing sailors to resume

The search for five missing crewmen who went missing when their vessel sank in the Irish Sea yesterday is to resume today.

File photo of the Irish coast guard
File photo of the Irish coast guard
Image: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland

THE SEARCH FOR five crewmen who have been missing in the Irish Sea since their cargo vessel sank on Sunday is to resume this morning.

Six men from the eight-strong Russian crew were declared missing after the MV Swanland, which was carrying 3,000 tonnes of limestone, sank in gale-force winds about 20 miles off the Welsh coast in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Two men were found alive by the British Royal Air Force yesterday, while the body of a third man was recovered later by the Irish Coast Guard’s Waterford-based helicopter.

The search was called off just before 5pm yesterday.

A UK official said the 81-metre ship sank after its hull cracked, RTÉ reports. One of the two survivors said the crew had been struggling with adverse weather conditions when an enormous wave hit the vessel, causing it to break in two, according to the BBC.

Britain’s Prince William co-piloted a helicopter involved in Sunday’s search-and-rescue operation.

Read: Prince William involved in Irish Sea rescue mission>

Read: Body found after ship sinks in Irish sea, five still missing>

About the author:

Read next:

COMMENTS (1)