This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to provide services and advertising. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookies Policy.
OK
Dublin: 11 °C Thursday 21 March, 2019
Advertisement

Sequel to Kony 2012 viral video expected today

The ‘Stop Kony’ video has been viewed over 86 million times on YouTube since its release last month.

Inside the Invisible Children offices in San Diego.
Inside the Invisible Children offices in San Diego.
Image: AP Photo/John Mone/PA

THE CREATORS of the viral hit Kony 2012 video are expected to release a sequel to that half-hour video later today.

Invisible Children’s first video about Joseph Kony, wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged war crimes and the recruitment of child soldiers, called on people to ‘make Kony famous’ in order to help bring him before the ICC.

Over 86.6 million people have watched the video on YouTube after it was uploaded in early March and Invisible Children’s $30 action kit containing “everything you’ll need to take part in our Kony 2012 campaign” has sold out. However, the campaign has been criticised for over-simplifying Ugandan history and the conflict.

The second video, entitled Kony 2012 Part II: Beyond Famous, is expected to be shorter than the first. Invisible Children says the video will provide “a closer look at the LRA and solutions from the ground”.

The Telegraph reports that Invisible Children’s director of ideology announced the sequel’s release at an event in honour of ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo.

Invisible Children says that 3.5 million people around the world have signed a pledge supporting their campaign.

US legislators are currently considering legislation that would offer a reward for information leading to Kony’s arrest and a bill is expected to be introduced on the issue later this month. A group of bipartisan senators is also supporting a resolution condemning Kony.

Attention turned to the campaign’s organiser Jason Russell a fortnight ago after he was suddenly admitted to hospital after being briefly detained by police for reportedly being drunk and vandalising cars in public.

His family said that Russell was admitted to hospital suffering extreme exhaustion and dehydration. He is understood to be recovering in hospital.

- Additional reporting by the AP

Man behind ‘Kony 2012′ video detained and hospitalised >

Filmmaker defends Kony 2012 campaign as video reaches over 56m hits >

  • Share on Facebook
  • Email this article
  •  

Read next:

COMMENTS (13)

    Trending Tags