Readers like you keep news free for everyone.

More than 5,000 readers have already pitched in to keep free access to The Journal.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can help keep paywalls away.

Support us today
Not now

Irish Rail to use shorter DART trains off-peak to save on fuel

One serivce- the 16:40 from Bray to Malahide – will see an increase in carriage capacity from six to eight.

Image: Mark Stedman/Photocall Ireland

IARNRÓD ÉIREANN HAS announced a new energy-saving initiative to generate fuel savings in Irish Rail, which it said will reduce costs by €3.2 million a year.

The range of actions, which involve a change in fleet utilisation, will begin this week, focusing on the train size for off-peak DART services.

Today the company said that 65 per cent of total daily DART passengers travel in the four hours of either morning or evening peak with the remaining 35 per cent travelling across the remaining 14 hours of travel.

To address this, Irish Rail will now increase the use of shorter tw0-carriage DARTs at off-peak times from mid-morning to mid-afternoon and after 7pm to “eliminate unnecessary energy usage and reduce maintenance costs”.  The company said this move will still allow it to continue existing service frequency to customers.

“This approach also allows the flexibility for capacity to be increased on off-peak train at times of higher demand, such as major events,” the company said.

One peak service – the 16.40 from Bray to Malahide – will see an increase in capacity from six to eight carriages.

Making a difference

A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article.

Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

For the price of one cup of coffee each week you can make sure we can keep reliable, meaningful news open to everyone regardless of their ability to pay.

Since 2007, Iarnród Éireann has reduced energy consumption by over one-third through a number of actions, with bills in 2012 that were €16 million lower than they would have been if measures were not implemented.

Read: NTA defends planned use of Phoenix Park Tunnel following Irish Rail concerns>

Read: Irish Rail’s says new timetables will cut some journeys by up to 25 minutes>

Read next: