#Open journalism No news is bad news

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support The Journal
Dublin: 10°C Saturday 16 October 2021

Protests and arrests in St Louis after black teenager shot dead by police

Police say the 18-year-old pointed a gun at officers before they opened fire.

PROTESTS BROKE OUT and police responded with teargas after an 18-year-old man was shot dead in a confrontation with officers in St. Louis, Missouri, law enforcement officials said last night.

The city is close to the trouble spot of Ferguson, where a police killing of an unarmed black man last year prompted angry protests and a renewed discussion on race and policing in the United States.

After the shooting yesterday, in which police say the 18-year-old pointed a gun at police, protesters gathered near the shooting location.

St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said they threw bottles and bricks at police and refused to move from an intersection.

After other attempts to clear the area failed, Dotson said teargas was used to reopen the intersection.

“Peace was restored after a total of nine arrests,” he said, adding that video of the incident would be released soon.

Later at night, police received reports of burglaries and a car being set on fire in the area.

“A group of protesters came together and started to do acts of violence directed not only towards law enforcement but towards the neighborhood,” Dotson said in recorded remarks released by the police department.

He reported that police discovered three stolen guns during investigations following the shooting that sparked the protests.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the 18-year-old was killed after two officers who were serving a search warrant opened fire when he pointed a gun at them.

#Open journalism No news is bad news Support The Journal

Your contributions will help us continue to deliver the stories that are important to you

Support us now

The paper reported the two officers who opened fire were white, and the man killed was black.

Sometimes violent protests began again in Ferguson this month after peaceful demonstrations marking the one year anniversary of the shooting that killed another 18-year-old, Michael Brown, escalated into violence and looting.

The officer who killed Brown was cleared of any wrongdoing.

© AFP, 2015

Read: Cliff Richard to sing as Cilla Black is laid to rest in Liverpool

Read: Future of Corbett children to be decided in North Carolina court today

About the author:


Read next: