Advertisement

We need your help now

Support from readers like you keeps The Journal open.

You are visiting us because we have something you value. Independent, unbiased news that tells the truth. Advertising revenue goes some way to support our mission, but this year it has not been enough.

If you've seen value in our reporting, please contribute what you can, so we can continue to produce accurate and meaningful journalism. For everyone who needs it.

Jacinta Stewart of the City of Dublin VEC said 118 grant applications from last year were still pending. Oireachtas screengrab

118 students still awaiting decision for last year's college grant

SUSI authorities say dozens of students haven’t been ruled on from last year – leaving them in limbo for their college future.

118 COLLEGE STUDENTS who applied for grants from the new national authority last year are still awaiting a decision on their application – even after the college year has finished.

Officials from the City of Dublin VEC, which manages the new Student Universal Support Ireland, says applications from over a hundred students for the 2012-13 academic year still have not been wrapped up.

Rulings on whether those students are entitled to a grant are still pending, Jacinta Stewart from CDVEC told the Oireachtas education committee this afternoon.

The delay in reaching a final decision for those students leaves them in academic limbo – as their colleges will not release their first year exam results until their fees for the first year have been settled.

This, in turn, means those students do not know whether they may have to sit repeat exams later this summer, or potentially repeat their full college year. They are also unable to apply for a renewal of their grant for the coming academic year.

SUSI received 69,683 grant applications from first-year students last year, awarding grants to 39,524 applicants – including 4,260 on appeal – and rejecting 30,041 others, either because they did not meet the criteria or their applications were withdrawn.

543 students whose applications were refused are currently the subject of appeal.

SUSI’s figures for the number of rejected applications also include cases where the student was not considered to have submitted all documentation – with reports of some cases where students claimed they were never asked to submit extra details to SUSI, and had their application closed as a result.

Stewart added that SUSI now had data-sharing arrangements with a number of other bodies, including the Revenue Commissioners and the Department of Social Protection, so that applicants will no longer have to approach those bodies seeking extra documents for their application.

Other changes to this year’s process included asking students for their bank payment details at the start of the process, instead of asking them for payment details at the end of the process after their application had been approved.

SUSI paid out almost €160 million in grants to applicants last year, out of a total national budget of around €350 million.

Read: ‘I won’t take my eye off the ball’: Quinn promises better SUSI system

Readers like you are keeping these stories free for everyone...
A mix of advertising and supporting contributions helps keep paywalls away from valuable information like this article. Over 5,000 readers like you have already stepped up and support us with a monthly payment or a once-off donation.

Close
15 Comments
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Conor Farrell
    Favourite Conor Farrell
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 2:42 PM

    Disgraceful. Would these students have a legal case against SUSI at this stage?

    149
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Carcu Sidub
    Favourite Carcu Sidub
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 2:51 PM

    Conor

    I don’t think they can take a case against a computer programe.

    10
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Reg
    Favourite Reg
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 2:57 PM

    The article doesn’t give a reason for the delay with these 118 students, there are probably a variety of potential reasons.

    33
    See 1 more reply ▾
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Glenn O'hAilpín
    Favourite Glenn O'hAilpín
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 3:22 PM

    I am one of the 118. I have finished my degree and can’t get my results at the moment because I am still waiting to get an answer from SUSI so that I can pay my fees.

    At first, I was angry at the college but its not their fault that the new grant system is failing miserably. It means that I cannot apply for work until my fees are paid and I have my results- So I am left jobless with one solution- to sign on. In order to be able to sign on, a letter was needed from the college to say that I had finished in third level but I couldn’t get that because I had not paid fees.

    I can’t complain about the Irish education system, I have qualified with a business degree (hopefully) and have only minor bills to pay. Most other countries don’t afford their citizens the same opportunities.

    145
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Carcu Sidub
    Favourite Carcu Sidub
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 2:42 PM

    I bet Jacinta’s jacket cost more than most of the grants paid out!

    110
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Mary Griffin
    Favourite Mary Griffin
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 3:13 PM

    @ Carcu – I agree. Who are these people we allow play God? Wait for decision before you get your results!!!!! Wonder have THEY ever done first year exams and if so surely they must feel some empathy with students. Disgusting.

    50
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute just readin
    Favourite just readin
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 3:49 PM

    Please temper your comments , you don’t want to be hurting her feelings. This won’t get sorted if she goes on an extended sick leave for emotional abuse ….

    50
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Siobhan Moylan
    Favourite Siobhan Moylan
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 3:20 PM

    I am one of those students still waiting for a reply. I have spent the year filling out the same forms over and over again. Apparently they have all of my information now and yet I am still waiting. I don’t know whether or not I can continue my education and yet I’m expected to just sit around and patiently wait for a response?

    88
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Amy Horan
    Favourite Amy Horan
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 4:26 PM

    “SUSI paid out a total of €160million worth of grants out of a total national budget of €350million”
    Says it all…. Joke

    46
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Kieran Fitzgerald
    Favourite Kieran Fitzgerald
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 3:43 PM

    FAO: Who ever is in charge of this, remove your thumb from your pampered arse and sort it out.

    46
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute BadDrivingIreland
    Favourite BadDrivingIreland
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 4:32 PM

    I bet Enda and Co NEVER wait for payments this is pathetic.

    36
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Gráinne Fay
    Favourite Gráinne Fay
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 5:12 PM

    Can’t believe this what a joke. After Christmas they said be lucky if you hear back by this Christmas. I feel for those still waiting I was going to apply for a grant until I heard about springboard. Its a disgrace that ready to work graduates are having to go back on the dole there is enough on it as it is. Students work very hard to get into employment not to go on the dole.

    31
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute Mark Mahon
    Favourite Mark Mahon
    Report
    Jun 19th 2013, 4:44 PM

    Take SUSI to courts!

    20
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute John Stephenson
    Favourite John Stephenson
    Report
    Jul 16th 2013, 8:01 PM

    The CEO of SUSI, Jacinta Stewart, was on a salary scale of €127,588 to €145,952 while she was City of Dublin VEC chief executive in 2011. I wonder what she is now receiving at SUSI? I suppose that salaries go up in line with Peter’s Principle promotions for this one-time teacher. A bit like Enda!

    4
    Install the app to use these features.
    Mute David Giles
    Favourite David Giles
    Report
    Jul 17th 2013, 8:53 AM

    Michael Martin, the leader of Fianna Fail is another former teacher.The whole country seems to be run by people who used to be teachers but who have moved on to doing something else which is more highly paid. I wonder however if they have the necessary management and financial skills and experience to run large organisations. This is a scandal but the numbers involved are relatively small so it should be possible to sort it out quickly.

    1
Submit a report
Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines.
Thank you for the feedback
Your feedback has been sent to our team for review.
JournalTv
News in 60 seconds